Christian Legal Society (CLS), founded in 1961, is a fellowship of Christians dedicated to serving Jesus Christ through the practice of law (Attorney Ministries), the defense of life and religious freedom (the Center for Law & Religious Freedom), the nurturing and encouragement of Christian law students (Law Student Ministries), and the provision of Christian legal aid to the poor and needy (Christian Legal Aid). These are the four pillars by which CLS serves Christians and society in the field of law.
CLS is looking for an experienced attorney to be the director of its Center for Law & Religious Freedom, the nation’s oldest Christian religious freedom advocacy legal organization, and work in-person out of its Washington, D.C. metro office (Springfield, VA). We seek a highly qualified attorney with religious freedom advocacy experience to lead and direct the work within a multi-disciplinary, collaborative environment.
The Center director must have a record of successful experience in managing and developing a legal team. The director’s responsibilities will include administration, litigation, appellate, and governmental affairs work. The Center director must be self-motivated and demonstrate outstanding practical judgment and be able to manage others and inspire them to pursue the mission of the Center with excellence. The candidate must be experienced at drafting a variety of legal documents, advising clients, and engaging in public advocacy through public speaking, media interviews, and writing in a variety of contexts.
Expectations and Responsibilities include:
- Directing, managing, and administrating the Center, including staff, budget, and strategic plan
- Traveling and speaking on behalf of the Center and CLS (expected to be less than 20%)
- Possessing leadership qualities evidenced by outstanding communication skills; the ability to plan, organize, and manage; and the ability to develop and sustain collaborative teams and engage in interprofessional cross-disciplinary work
- Work in conjunction and alongside the other CLS directors
- Interview and hire junior attorneys and support staff as needed
- Work closely and report to the CEO as the Center meets the CLS strategic plan
- Participate in the planning and execution of the annual CLS National Conference
- Participate in fundraising for CLS and the Center
- Report monthly to the Board Committee that oversees the Center
- Amicus and Litigation
- Design, develop, and deliver the Center's legal strategy
- Manage pending and active litigation
- Manage amicus briefs on behalf of CLS and the Center
- Respond to requests for assistance from the religious community
- Interview prospective clients
- Represent clients in court and before government administrative agencies
- Government Affairs
- Develop expertise in statutory and case law that is applicable to religious freedom and the sanctity of human life
- Write letters on behalf of clients to government entities
- Draft legislative and regulatory language
- Attend meetings at the U.S. Capitol and elsewhere to offer the historical and expansive expertise of the Center
- Possess exceptional communication (written and oral), presentation, interpersonal, organizational, prioritization, and time-management skills
- Write extensively in a variety of contexts, including internal and external platforms
- Develop and maintain relationships with other religious freedom and pro-life organizations
- Respond to media requests
- Have 10+ years of progressively responsible experience within a law firm, major company, or large nonprofit
- Hold a JD degree from an ABA-accredited institution
- Possess proven management experience
- Have excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
- Have experience with federal and state trial court motion practice and discovery
CLS offers a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
All staff must affirm and agree with the CLS Statement of Faith and Community Life Statement, which can be found on our website. Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file name to email@example.com:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position with an emphasis on how your experience aligns with the position’s responsibilities
- Two writing samples, including a lengthy document, preferably a brief, as well as a short piece, such as a letter or an article for a blog or other publication
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position but will contact only those to whom we offer an interview. All correspondence should be by email and not by phone.
Job Posted 11/29/2021