Access Justice (AJ) is a thriving Christian Legal Aid organization which seeks to increase access
to justice for all by providing basic legal services and legal education to the most vulnerable in
society. AJ provides free legal clinics each week where clients receive personalized legal advice
to represent themselves. For clients that need full representation, AJ provides direct pro bono
representation for select legal matters, including expungements, immigration, estate
planning/administation, Christian non-profit formation, and issues faced by single moms. AJ
seeks to add a Pro Bono Staff Attorney to provide pro bono representation.
The Pro Bono Staff Attorney will take on cases referred from AJ’s legal clinics that qualify for pro
bono services. This staff attorney will represent clients in court as well as draft legal documents.
The staff attorney will also attend AJ’s legal clinics to provide legal consultations. This staff
attorney will be directly supervised by AJ’s Director of Legal Services. The staff attorney must be
willing to sign and sign AJ’s Statement of Faith.
The primary duties of the Pro Bono Staff Attorney include:
Christ-like example. The Pro Bono Staff Attorney, relying on his or her faith and relationship with
Jesus Christ, should endeavor to be an example to AJ’s clients of loving our neighbors and assisting
them with their legal and spiritual needs.
Clinics. The Pro Bono Staff Attorney will attend agreed upon legal clinics to provide legal
consultations to clients. The Staff Attorney will also serve as on-call support for legal clinics as
Representation. Under the supervision and direction of the Director of Legal Services, the Pro
Bono Staff Attorney will provide full representation to clients that qualify for AJ’s pro bono
services. This includes but is not limited to representing clients in hearings, proceedings, and
mediations and drafting legal documents for clients.
Case Management. At the end of each week, the Director of Pro Bono Clinics and Director of
Legal Services will review the cases from that week’s clinic to determine which should be referred
to AJ’s referral network and which should be referred to AJ’s Legal Services Division. Once cases
are placed with the Legal Services Division, the Director of Legal Services and the Legal Services
Committee will decide which cases qualify for pro bono services. Those qualifying cases will then
be assigned to the Pro Bono Staff Attorney. The Director of Legal Services will supervise and
support the Pro Bono Staff Attorney through the resolution of each case.
Organizational Support. The Pro Bono Staff Attorney will support AJ’s annual events and fundraising efforts led by the Executive Director, and other activities as may be reasonably determined by the Executive Director.
- Attend AJ legal clinics to provide consultations to clients.
- Communicate with AJ Legal Services Director to manage case load.
- Represent AJ clients during hearings and other proceedings.
- Draft legal documents for clients, including but not limited to immigration applications, wills, POAs, deeds, organizational documents, and expungement petitions.
- Serve as on-call support for legal clinics.
- Admitted to Kentucky Bar.
- 2-3 years of experience as a licensed attorney or experience in a law firm (immigration &/or family law experience preferred).
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work well within a small office setting.
- Ability to work collaboratively with AJ’s directors, staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to work some evenings and some Saturdays.
Job posted 9/15/2022