About the Small Business Legal Center:
The National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB) is the voice of small business, advocating on behalf of America’s small and independent business owners, both in Washington, D.C., and in all 50 state capitals. NFIB is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and member-driven. Since our founding in 1943, NFIB has been exclusively dedicated to small and independent businesses and remains so today.
The NFIB Small Business Legal Center (SBLC) is the voice for small business in the nation’s courts and the legal resource for small business owners nationwide.
In the courts, we educate judges on how the decision they make in each case will impact small businesses nationwide. In addition to our litigation work, we produce and disseminate educational guidance documents that cover laws important to small businesses nationwide.
About the Role:
The Senior Attorney will focus on legal education and representation on issues of broad public interests that affect small business for the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB). This role is perfect for an attorney who is a strong writer, looking to pivot from a litigation career, and is ready for a networking and educational role in support of small and independent businesses. All duties will be performed under the direction of the Executive Director of SBLC, including preparation of amicus briefs and comments on proposed regulations.
- Shape litigation strategies and NFIB’s amicus program, including drafting amicus briefs in-house and writing regulatory comment letters
- Develop compliance resources and help to promote SBLC’s work
- Build effective working relationships with public interest groups, agencies, and law firms throughout the country
This position is based in Washington, DC and the new hire can work from home 2-3 days per week.
- Juris Doctor
- At least four years administrative law and litigation and/or appellate experience from judicial clerkship, law firm, public interest, or government practice
- Admission to practice of law in good standing in jurisdiction where working or DC
- Excellent legal skills and significant experience with administrative and litigation processes
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication, analytical, and organizational skills
- Ability to partner and coordinate with other organizations to achieve objectives and to maintain long-term relationships and develop coalitions
- Public speaking experience
- Ability to communicate effectively on legal matters with non-lawyers
- Understanding of the needs of small and independent businesses
- Commitment to NFIB’s mission
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume
- A cover letter explaining why you are interested in NFIB Small Business Legal Center’s mission.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Job Posted: 1/24/23